Welcome to ABL Group
ABL Group is a leading global independent energy and marine consultant working in energy and oceans to de-risk and drive the energy transition across renewables, maritime and oil and gas sectors. Based in more than 300 locations worldwide and consisting of the following group companies.
The energy and marine consultantsView Website
The offshore wind consultantsView Website
The marine renewables engineering and R&D consultantsView Website
The independent engineering, design and analysis consultantsView Website
The marine surveyor and risk consultantsView Website
The superyacht surveyors and consultantsView Website
East Point Geo
The geotechnical, geophysical and geological consultantsView Website
The ship design specialistsView Website
Jack-Up and Floating Rigs
Longitude has a proven track record of jack up and semi-submersible rig engineering for the upgrade and conversion of drilling, accommodation and production units.
MOPU and Jack-Up Marine Design
Longitude has designed a number of MOPU conversion in which a drilling rig is converted to a production platform. Our work typically requires all aspects of naval architecture, structural, and marine system engineering associated with these units.
Our geotechnical engineering services are often required to undertake foundation assessments. This may involve the interpretation of site-specific soils’ data, testing, calculation of foundation stability and resistance to sliding.
Services for MOPUs and rig conversions include the following :-
• MOPU Conversion
• Concept, Pre-FEED, FEED and Detailed Design including cost estimating
• Equipment Foundations
• Rig Foundation Stability Assessment
• Leg and Jack house Fatigue Assessment
• Demolition Engineering
• Marine Operations Manual Updates
• Marine Systems
As well as performing design engineering for rig upgrades, Longitude are often asked to provide engineering assessments of jackup rigs, drill ships and semi submersibles. These engineering assessments may be relating to in-service operational issues, life extension or an upgrade of a drilling, accommodation or production unit.
Areas of engineering analysis cover the following range of activities across both the oil and gas and renewables markets.
• Intact and Damage Stability Analysis
• Application of regulations (MARPOL, SOLAS etc)
• Site Specific Strength and Fatigue Analysis
• Inclining experiments
• Leg Impact during lowering
• Scour Assessments
• LQ and equipment upgrades
• Global strength analysis for hull, legs and jacking structures
• Analysis of spudcan strength
• Finite Element Analysis of global or local structures
• Design of pipe racks and topside module supports.
• Design of helideck, support structures, fire monitor platforms and walkways.
• Vibration analysis
• Crane Pedestal design and analysis
Over recent years, a significant number of rigs have gone into layup, be it cold or warm. Longitude’s engineers can help owners to assess their units and advice on a range of issues relating to lay-up and stacking.
- Lay-up/ warm/ cold stack planning and re-activation planning
- Lay-up /stacking procedures and manuals with recommendations on interim inspections / checks
- Liaison with insurance interests and / or approval as an independent 3rd party
- Machinery / equipment protection and preservation measures
- Advice on maintenance and management during lay-ups
- Advice on anchoring/mooring adequacy for long term deployment
Marine Systems Engineering
Our marine engineers have worked on MOPU conversions providing designs enabling the unit to work at elevation for long period in a safe manner. Our engineers are typically involved with the following systems.
- Design and conversion of marine utility systems, including but not limited to sewage, black, grey portable and drinking water and air systems
- Ballast design/conversion
- Design and conversion of bilge, fuel oil, oily water separation, foam, marine HVAC systems
- Design of fire water system
- Design of seawater lift system
Case Studies View All
MOPU LEG to MAT Re-Assessment, Repair Engineering and Repair Assistance
The MOPU Sepat was converted in 2011 from the mobile self-elevating platform “GPS PRODUCER 1” by Longitude. It was designed, developed and manufactured by Baker Marine Corporation as a…
WEST LINUS Drill Floor Vibration Study for SEADRILL RIG
Longitude were contracted by Jurong Shipyard to perform a vibration study in order to reveal possible resonance problem in the drill floor of a Seadrill Jack up vessel. Facts and…
BOSS 1 Conversion from MODU to MOPU
Longitude was contracted by Gryphon Energy to provide detailed engineering associated with conversion of a MODU to a MOPU for operation offshore Indonesia. Facts and Figures: 4800 tons elevated weight …